The Official Owner's 1981 Pontiac Trans Am Turbo Special Edition
NASCAR Daytona 500 Pace Car Web Site.
In 1981 Pontiac was selected to lead the Daytona 500 and as the Official Safety Car for NASCAR.
The Special Edition Trans Am led the way at the 23rd running Daytona 500 in 1981. The race was won by Richard Petty, his 7th and last Daytona 500 win. In likeness, the 1981 Trans Am marked the end of the 2nd Generation Fbody and the short 2 year run of the turbo charged Pontiac 301 engine.
The Trans Am Pace Car is powered by the Pontiac turbo charged 4.9 Liter 301 Cubic Inches engine and is the first Trans Am to enbody Recaro seating. Exactly 2000 Trans Am Pace Cars designating the Y85 Turbo Special Edition Package were built in 1981.
1981 Quick Facts
- Richard Petty Wins the 1981 Daytona 500.
- First launch of Space Shuttle (Columbia)
- First DeLorean rolls off the assembly line.
- MTV Launches 24 hr Music Video
- Webmaster graduates high school.
- Gas Price Average $1.55 per gallon
- Bobby Unser Wins The Indy 500
- Ronald Regan Becomes 40th US President
- Okland Wins The NFL Superbowl
- Dodgers Win The World Series